PIH Notice 2017-17 – Registration of Interest for HUD-VASH Vouchers is a new modified approach that HUD has taken to award housing choice vouchers (which can be used for either tenant based or project based) for the Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing program. We want to ensure that you are aware of this change and have time to act upon the new process if you choose to notify HUD of your interest to receive and administer additional HUD-VASH vouchers.
The 2017 Appropriations Act provides for approximately 5,500 new HUD-VASH vouchers. This year HUD will award tenant-based HUD-VASH to self-identified, interested PHAs based on local need. The process follows two steps:
- PHAs will respond to HUD with an email and a VA Letter of Support (Registration of Interest).
- NO LATER THAN OCTOBER 31, 2107, PHAs will send an email to VASH2017@hud.gov identifying that they are interested in receiving HUD-VASH vouchers.
- The subject line of the email should be “Registration of Interest” and include the PHA code (i.e. AL001).
- The body of the email must identify which VAMC or CBOC the PHA will be partnering with.
- PHAs must also attach a signed letter of support from their partnering VA facility.
- The Letter of Support may be signed by the Director of the VA Medical Center or Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN).
- Based on a need formula, registered PHAs that are selected will receive an invitation to apply for a specific number of HUD-VASH vouchers. This means that PHAs must respond to this Notice to be considered for a HUD-VASH award.
Download the Notice: PIH Notice 2017-17
Quadel is available for your questions and, if needed, to assist your programs in the future. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org